THE MISLEADING NAME AND 10 OTHER FUN FACTS
One of the best fruits to include in a healthy diet is the grapefruit; not only is it packed full of nutrition, but when we get to know the grapefruit we discover some lesser-known and very interesting facts.This rather big yellow fruit does not resemble grapes, and yet it is called “grapefruit” - why? Well, the grapefruit was originally called the “forbidden fruit” because in 1750, Reverend Griffith Hughes came upon the grapefruit and called it that while he was looking for the origin of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the Garden of Eden. It was the Jamaicans that coined the term “grapefruit” because of the way the fruit grew in bunches like grapes.
Here is a list of the top 10 most interesting facts about the grapefruit
- Grapefruit was discovered in Barbados in the 18th century. It is the only citrus fruit that originated in the new world. Many studies imply the grapefruit was the result of a natural cross breeding between the orange and the pomelo.
- The United States is globally the top producer of grapefruits, supplying over 60% of the world. (Source: www.agmrc.org/commodities__products/fruits/citrus/citrus-profile/) Fresh grapefruit from California and Arizona is available all year round in several colors including red, pink, white and golden.
- A grapefruit is made of 75% juice. Florida grapefruits are juicier than those from California and Arizona.
- In 1993, the Texas Red Grapefruit became the official fruit of Texas. (Source: www.netstate.com/states/symb/fruit/tx_red_grapefruit.htm)
- Grapefruits are always hand-picked; no mechanical harvesting is used.
- When it comes to food pairing, grapefruit is a wonderful when partnered with fish, e.g in a combined fish salad.
- Half a grapefruit contains six grams of fiber, making it one of the highest-fiber fruits.
- The tradition of salting a cut grapefruit is the meant to make it taste sweeter.
- Grapefruit extract, with its antifungal properties, is used to protect wooden tools against mold.
- The red grapefruit, which has the highest content of healthy antioxidants, is considered to be the healthiest variety. More...
AGRANA Fruit is very engaged in agricultural science, methods of cultivation and the use of many different varieties of fruit. Grapefruit is usually available across the globe and all the year round. However, we have found that Israel and Turkey feature the suppliers that fit best when it comes to particular varieties, or to our specific organic and quality requirements.